Pool season is in full swing! If you are a confident do-it-yourselfer who would like to do some refreshing of the area around your pool, we have some tips to help you do it right.
There are a few key things to keep in mind when landscaping around your pool, as it comes with very different requirements than elsewhere in your landscape. The main goals of landscaping around a pool typically include:
- Minimizing debris in the pool
- Providing privacy
- Eliminating thorns, spines, spikes and bees
- No invasive roots
- Planning for low maintenance
Keeping these goals in mind will limit your landscaping selections a bit, but will greatly improve your satisfaction with the pool landscape you create. If you’re at a loss for ideas, we recommend browsing our amazing pools and spas gallery for inspiration.
While you’re there, take a few minutes to notice some other tricks we’ve implemented. These include:
- Creating zones or areas for specific activities such as lounging and dining.
- Use structures to create shade in the pool area.
- Consider adding a fire to your pool area. We can install gas fire pits that don’t smoke or create ash!
- Selecting a landscape theme. Modern, rustic, tropical and other themes can add charm and personality to your pool.
- Supplementing your pool landscape with potted plants to provide a splash of color.
- Carefully designing lighting, which is vital to pool areas! Highlight key elements in your outdoor living area, create dramatic scenes while gently highlighting subtle elements, and keep your pool well-lit for those pool parties that go late into the evening.
Of course if you prefer to leave the pool landscaping to the experts, we’ll be happy to help. Give Hively a call at 717-292-5696 and we’ll work with you to transform your backyard pool area!